Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Maningning Miclat's 'Laughter'


He left me
when he could
no longer stand the laughter

that I gave him
while he begged me not
to keep memories

alive in poems
to hurt myself
and make those
who read

sad. I laughed
when he shared
his life with me
while holding him

to make it easier
and maybe
less painful
to live on.

Laugh! I told
him, but
could not get
his attention.

Laugh! I asked
him, but
he left in
anger.

And left
before he understood
the courage
that held my laughter.

An analysis of mine for her poem is that, though she had said the word laughter in the poem for so many times, it does not really mean that she's happy. It is
an irony of what she truly feels. Her feeling of being so alone after being left by her lover. The feeling of sadness that no matter how she tried to be strong, she was left, left misunderstood. She had held on the memories of her past through the poems she writes, she relives the memories by her writings, and that was one of the reasons that she was left. The false laughter that she shows when they are together, laughter that is trying to hide something from him, and that, he could no longer stand.




Maningning Miclat

No comments:

Post a Comment